Detoxing with Seaweed - the simple solution to keeping our skin and our bodies healthy
The process of detoxification involves your body ridding itself of unwanted waste and debris that would otherwise cause problems in your overall health. Such detoxification can be accomplished by applying or soaking your body in seaweed or even by simply eating seaweed.
When seaweed is applied to your skin, the detoxification takes place at the cellular level. Seaweed’s beneficial elements (including vitamins, minerals and polysaccharides) are easily absorbed through our skin, where toxins are pulled out, flushed into the blood stream and expelled by our liver.
Seaweeds have the ability to aid our body with eliminating the stored toxins and harmful waste, which strengthens our immunity, thus increasing our body’s ability to defend itself against any unwanted guests.
Here are five unique detoxifying and cleansing components of seaweed:
- Seaweeds are rich in iodine which supports our thyroid, which in turn controls our metabolism – the rate at which our cells turn nutrition into energy. This energy provides power to our liver, kidney, digestive tract and skin to remove any stored toxins in our tissues and quickly remove them from our system.
- Seaweeds have high concentrations of chlorophyll. Chlorophyll whips through our lymphatic system and blood stream and clears out debris and toxins as it moves through our entire body.
- Seaweeds contain three unique polysaccharides not found anywhere else in the plant kingdom- fucoidan, alginate and laminarin. (Click here for more details) These three bioactive compounds of seaweeds work together to eliminate heavy metals, free radicals, viruses, fungus, bacteria and they even have the ability to remove radioactive particles.
- Seaweeds have water-soluble plant fibres that attract and bind to toxins, engulfing them in a gel casing where they are then expelled through our digestive tract.
- Seaweeds are excellent at fighting free-radicals throughout our entire body. Seaweeds contain high concentrations of antioxidants that make it anti-parasitic, anti-viral, anti-fungal while also fighting premature aging of your skin.
Pollution is everywhere; it’s in the air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat, the personal care products we use and more. Our lifestyles have become generally more sedentary and we have learned to live with a constant state of stress, which raises our cortisol levels and weakens our bodies’ defense against pollution. Most us are lacking essential minerals in our diets- which makes it impossible for us to absorb the proper vitamins- while our organs are working overtime to rid our bodies of the excess toxins and pollutants we’ve generated on a daily basis.
Our bodies naturally go through a detox process; when we eat food, we absorb all the good stuff and eliminate the bad stuff. It’s quite a simple process of eliminating dietary and environmental toxins from the body to keep us fit and healthy. The problem arises when there is just so much detoxifying to be done that it overwhelms our system and we resort to storing some of the harmful substances instead of expelling them. Once this happens, we are less able to defend against, viruses, bacteria, parasites etc. and we become more susceptible to illness and disease.